Frequently Asked Questions
Severance/Severance Application Questions
- When trying to register in Severance, after clicking on "Register Now", it keeps returning to the Online Options page.
- In IE browser under "Internet Options" select the "Privacy" tab, then select "Advanced Privacy Settings". Within the Cookies frame, you must select "Override automatic cookie handling" in order to set the "Prompt" option under both the First-party Cookies and the Third-party Cookies.
- General & runtime errors in Severance:
- Uninstall the current version of the application
- Go to http://revenue.louisiana.gov/EServices/SeveranceNotice/, provide your information and click the "Download Program" button
- Install the application from the downloaded file
- What operating systems does Severance 2007 presently run under?
- How to determine my operating system?
- Where can I download the newest version of Severance 2007?
- Severance 2007 acts as though it is trying to reinstall some of the software when I run it. How can I fix this?
- When I click the download button, the software wants to install an old version of Severance?
- I get a message box saying that I don’t have a connection to the Internet, when I actually do have a connection.
- What do I do to set up arrangements to pay an outstanding tax liability?
- What is the severance tax rate for natural gas?
- Who is responsible for paying the oilfield site restoration fee?
- When the natural gas severance tax rate is adjusted annually on July 1st, which month is the first month affected by the change?
- What are the Parish Codes that need to be provided on the various Severance Tax reporting forms?
A possible issue is that SPAM/PopUp Blockers and Browser Cookie Settings are interfering with LaWage and Severance applications. To resolve the issue you should do the following:
Ensure you have the newest version of the program:
Severance 2007 has been tested under XP Professional and Windows 2000.
Click on the start button at the lower left hand corner on the task bar. Click “Run.” In the text box next to where it says “Open,” type “Winver.exe.” Click on OK. The OS version and service packs will popup.
Go to the following link : https://webtax2.rev.louisiana.gov/severance/program/download/download.asp
This is caused by a previous version of the application uninstalling a required component. To fix, click on the following link: https://webtax2.rev.louisiana.gov/severanceVB6/download/download.aspx. Click-on “Run fix for VB 6.0.”
This is an issue with the browser cache in your web browser. To fix, open Internet Explorer, click on Tools/Internet Options. Then click on “Delete Files.” Also, you can go to an alternate download site: https://webtax2.rev.louisiana.gov/severanceVB6/download/download.aspx, and download and install the software.
There may be a proxy server on your network. The original software version wasn’t configured for a proxy server. To fix, simply download and install the latest version of the software.
You may download an installment agreement from the website or contact our office at (225) 219-0102.
Louisiana Revised Statute 47:633(9) provides that the tax rate for natural gas and equivalent gas volumes of natural gasoline, casinghead gasoline, and other natural gas liquids including ethane, methane, butane or propane is per 1,000 cubic feet at a base pressure of 15.025 pounds per square inch absolute and at 60 degrees Fahrenheit is adjusted annually on July 1 and may never be less than 7 cents.
The tax rates for the current years are as follows:
|7/07 through 6/08||$.269|
|7/08 through 6/09||$.288|
|7/09 through 6/10||$.331|
|7/10 through 6/11||$.164|
|7/11 through 6/12||$.164|
|7/12 through 6/13||$.148|
|7/13 through 6/14||$.118|
|7/14 through 6/15||$.163|
|7/15 through 7/16||$.158|
|7/16 through 7/17||$.098|
|7/17 through 7/18||$.111|
|Incapable oil well gas||$.03|
|Incapable gas well gas||$.013|
Louisiana Revised Statute 30:87 imposes the oilfield site restoration fee. The fee for full rate oil and gas production is one and one-half cents per barrel on crude oil and condensate or three-tenths of one cent per 1,000 cubic feet on natural gas and casing head gas. The fee for reduced rate oil and gas production such as stripper wells and incapable wells is in the same proportion to the oil or gas full rate production fees as the reduced rate severance tax is to the full rate severance tax.
The oilfield site restoration fee must be paid by the operator of record. Louisiana Administrative Code 61:I.5301.E.3 provides that “Every operator of record of producing oil and/or gas wells must submit a return and make payments of the fees imposed by R.S. 30:87. Purchasers of oil and/or gas may make payment for the operator of record and their respective working-interest owners."
The new natural gas severance tax rate applies to July gas production, which is reported and the tax paid on or before September 25th.
The codes assigned to the various parishes are:
|05||AVOYELLES||27||JEFFERSON DAVIS||49||ST LANDRY|
|17||EAST BATON ROUGE||39||POINTE COUPEE||61||WEST BATON ROUGE|
|18||EAST CARROLL||40||RAPIDES||62||WEST CARROLL|
|19||EAST FELICIANA||41||RED RIVER||63||WEST FELICIANA|
top of page